Many at risk industrial process components including dust collectors, process vessels, duct/piping networks and industrial structures have been protected with explosion venting. Where applicable, explosion vents are a viable means to release pressure due to a deflagration. Their selection and use is determined by the location of the dust collector or vessel, the Kst of the dust, Pred of the vessel, the hazard of dispelled materials, and a clear safe path to direct the release.
The strategy of explosion vents is to provide escape routes for flames and expanding gases, preventing the dangerous pressure build up in process equipment to minimize damage to equipment and protect personnel working in the area. The location of the vessel whether it is inside or outside, adjacent to personnel or other structures determines what type of vent can be applied.
There are two primary means to vent a deflagration using explosion relief vents. These include explosion vents or panels and flameless explosion vents. Which one is selected is based upon a number of factors, including:
- Kst of materials being collected
- Location of vessel within the facility
- If an explosion vent duct can be installed that meets Code
- Location of structures and vicinity of personnel adjacent to the vessel
- Toxicity of explosive materials
Explosion panels, also referred to as explosion vents, are the most widely used method for mitigating or safely redirecting dust explosions. Explosion relief vents are an effective means for explosion protection when your dust collector or vessel is:
- Located outdoors or near an outside wall when located indoors
- Has plenty of outside space (compliant with NFPA 68) and is available for safe venting
- The process material being collected is not toxic
IEP Technologies| HOERBIGER Safety Solutions vents offer:
- Vents have a two-year warranty
- Industry best performance tolerances of +/- 0.25 psig and a max operating pressure ratio of 80%
- 3 to 5 day ship time for SS vents
- Broad range of sizes, configurations, and ratings available
- Flat or domed designs
- Clean-in-place designs available
Flameless Explosion Vents are designed with an integral flame arrester that prevents the escape of flames and combustible dusts, allowing the dust collector to be used in a building’s interior space. The HOERBIGER Vent opens at low pressure setting of 0.05 bar, is ATEX certified and automatically reseals after an event.
What does a flameless vent look like and how do they work? Take a look at the video from Hoerbiger.
IEP Technologies | HOERBIGER Safety Solutions flameless venting has advantages that need to be considered:
- Vent duct to the outside is not required – can be used in the building interior
- Compact in size with wide range of sizes available
- Up to 30% less length than standard flameless vents with more mass
- Valve closes automatically after venting – repair or refurbishment not required
- Suitable for multiple explosions
- ATEX Certified according to latest guideline EN 16009
Flameless vents are a great alternative if the combustible dust Kst is within an acceptable range and where the location of the vessel dictates it’s use.
We have extensive experience in designing and installing explosion venting systems. Every application is unique; SysTech can assist you in determining if explosion venting is the best choice for your situation. All design considerations are in accordance with NFPA 68: Standard on Explosion Protection by Deflagration Venting, latest version.
SysTech is the place to go for your explosion venting needs.