Ventilation for Cryptocurrency Mining Centers
Ventilation of crypto mining facilities requires a detailed design process because the mining location sites are so diverse. A typical cryptocurrency mining facility or data center has machines stacked on racks, aptly known as rigs. These machines come in different sizes and depend on the target cryptocurrency. Bitcoin mining is mainly done with ASIC (chip) machines, with more powerful and efficient chips coming out every few months.
Because heated air exchange is critical, the fan selection process is essential. Once air volume is determined, pressure losses through the louvers and air filters are calculated based on the intake air velocity. The CFM and SP determination will allow a fan selection. The fan size selected will have the least required BHP to minimize power demand.
Although there is a diverse number of ventilation designs, preliminary design input includes some or all of the below criteria:
- Air changes per hour (ACH)
- Amount of particulate in the ambient airstream.
- BTUH/Wattage for heat rejection
- Solar loads
- State and local ordinances
- Permissible Noise Levels (PNL)
- Equipment layout within the enclosure or dedicated facility location
- Stratification of air temperatures within a facility
- Site location
- Local weather patterns
- Available power
Cryptocurrency mining can be placed in shipping containers or new/ existing buildings constructed of brick, block, or stick build construction. The mining area may be a small part of a much larger facility. Typically, large volumes of outside air are supplied and moved through the process by roof or wall openings and fan-powered ventilation modules to exhaust the warm air from the container or space.
Each ventilation design package is tailored to available utilities, local weather conditions, ambient air quality, occupational safety and comfort, noise criteria, and specific requirements required by a client. Based on these criteria, components for the ventilation system are selected and include:
- Supply and exhaust fans – wall or roof-mounted configured to move heated air out of the building, container, or dedicated space. Fans are selected based primarily on pressure losses through the louvers and air filters.
- Fan silencers – where noise is an issue, silencers can be fitted to attenuate fan noise.
- Louvers, dampers & diffusers – Supply louvers or grills are for outside air intake and are necessary to prevent the entrainment of rain and snow.
- Air filters – Selected to remove particulate from the outside air supply.
- Air filter holding frames, racks, or housings – Filters need to be held securely to prevent outside air bypass issues.
- Intake hood (s) – weather conditions will determine the hood requirement.
- SysTech custom ventilation modules.
- Electrical control packages.
Essential criteria when designing cryptocurrency ventilation systems:
- Heat – large volumes of heat need to be exhausted from the building or container. The air movers are fans either in supply or exhaust mode.
- Noise – Noise is generated by ventilating fans and needs to be addressed with noise mitigation at the facility and sometimes for the community surrounding the facility. Noise levels at property lines can significantly depend on local ordinances. SysTech has addressed mitigating building noise with custom-designed Lo-Noise™ ventilation modules.
- Ambient particulate or dust – Outside air needs to be filtered as it enters the enclosure. The selection of air filter efficiency is based on ambient air particulate loads.
- Other factors determining the final design include the geographic location of the facility, equipment installed, heat loads, and on-site staffing.
Consult with SysTech for Ventilation in Your Cryptocurrency Mining Facility
We’ve successfully navigated the challenges posed by many of these buildings and containers and look forward to helping you solve your ventilation questions. We have the experience, the necessary components, and installation knowledge, and we’re available to assist with your project development needs. Call SysTech to discuss your Ventilation for Cryptocurrency Facility needs.